I’m so excited to start sharing recipes! I have been meaning to for a while and I finally had a chance last night to take pictures while I was cooking. For my very first recipe post, I thought I would share my easy 5 ingredient corn chowder. Now that it’s starting to finally cool down a little here in Vegas, it’s perfect for dinner. But honestly, I’m a soup person so I could have it all year long.
Most mamas are constantly busy, trying to multitask and want to spend more time with the children rather than slaving away in the kitchen, especially after a long day. So, my goal is to share recipes that are quick or don’t need a lot of ingredients. Because, when you are busy being a mom and trying to master the work and life balance, no one has time for that!
This corn chowder was a recipe that has been passed on from my Granny. I haven’t found another corn chowder that I prefer over this one. It gives me so much comfort and I would get so excited every time I was at her house and she made it. It’s simple and the best part of this recipe is that it’s super quick. I did it this week on a Tuesday night in less than an hour!
There are 5 staple ingredients that go in the soup, and there are several on the side that is optional.
This recipe fed my husband and I for one meal and we had some leftovers.
Here they are:
- (2) Small Red Potato
- 1 can Cream Corn
- 1 small can Evap Milk
Prior to cooking:
Prior to cooking, I like to soften the potatoes by heating it up in the microwave. You can do this by:
Peel and dice the potatoes and stick them in a bowl. Cover the bowl with a wet paper towel and heat them up a minute at a time in the microwave till they feel a little soft. For these two potatoes, it took about 3 minutes, at one minute each.
After that, I fill the bowl with water just enough to cover the potatoes. Let that sit while you start the initial process of cooking.
- Use a quarter of an onion and dice it up into small pieces. Heat that up over med-low and a little oil in the pot.
- Chop up 3-4 strips of bacon. Once the onion is cooked slightly, (don’t wait for it all to turn brown) add the bacon to the pot and let that cook. (You can even use the microwavable bacon, that’s what I used!)
- After the bacon is cooked, take the bowl of potatoes and add that to the pot (with all the water).
- Cover pot and let that cook/simmer for a good 15-20 minutes (this is most of the cooking part).
- Add in 1 can of cream corn to the pot and mix up every few minutes.
- Once the cream corn is mixed in well, you are going to add in the Evaporated Milk. But I do NOT use the whole can. It is also recommended that you shake the can first. I pour in a little at a time (maybe a tablespoon) and mix it in. As you mix it in, you will start to see the base look more like a soup.
- Lower heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
You can play around with water and the evaporated milk to your preference. Add water to make it have a more soup base or more evaporated milk to thicken it.
There it is! My very easy 5 ingredient comfort soup. You can add other veggies or even chicken to it very easily. I hope you enjoyed my very first shared recipe!
Here are some other reads you may enjoy:
If you don’t want to miss recipes or any other mama tips, scroll down to subscribe. And always, thank you so much for stopping by. Please share and comment below if you’ve tried it out! I would love to hear your thoughts. XOXO.